Creative Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creative Corner

Writings, artwork, movies, music, anything and everything.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Song of the stars

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
WalrusGumboot
Legend
Legend
WalrusGumboot

Song of the stars Empty
PostSubject: Song of the stars   Song of the stars I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 9:39 pm

This was for a contest... I hope I'm not disqualified for posting it Wink It doesn't rhyme, and some of the lines aren't in any meter at all...

Song of the Stars

I lie awake on the clearest winter night
And listen to the ticking of my heart
Beating out a rhythm.
I turn away from my insomnia
And look up at the music of the sky.

The cosmos is silent,
Yet filled with resonance.
For the most distant star shines a beacon,
The remotest of galaxies sing,
And quasars pulse like metronomes.

A black hole, the icon of destruction,
Hums with energy in bittersweet song,
And even a vacuum's uncertain tune
Of particles that shouldn't really be
Fills the night with an inaudible ballad.
Back to top Go down
http://aviary.com/artists/WalrusGumboot/creations
Joe Cool
Legend
Legend
Joe Cool

Song of the stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Song of the stars   Song of the stars I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 4:17 pm

Not to be the annoying correct-all-that-I-see machine, but:
Quote :
The cosmos is silent,
You used the wrong linking verb for this tense. You should use are instead of is. I know 1337 commands is there, but I'm not sure Poetic License commands this. (lol)

EDIT: Forgot to add my comment.
I like the fact that you mentioned the sky, and the objects locked within, and the lines seemed to flow, although, yes, not many rhymed.
Back to top Go down
WalrusGumboot
Legend
Legend
WalrusGumboot

Song of the stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Song of the stars   Song of the stars I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 3:25 pm

Actually, according to Wikipedia anyway, the word cosmos is a singular (or rather, a mass noun) - if it was a plural, what would the singular form be? Cosmo? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Joe Cool
Legend
Legend
Joe Cool

Song of the stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Song of the stars   Song of the stars I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 6:27 pm

I'm pretty sure it's plural. I'll confirm tomorrow.

EDIT: Yes it is. See here.
It makes sense. The Russian word for astronaut used in the cold war especially is "Cosmonaut".
Back to top Go down
WalrusGumboot
Legend
Legend
WalrusGumboot

Song of the stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Song of the stars   Song of the stars I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 11:37 pm

I see where it says
dictionary.com wrote:
–noun,plural-mos, -mosĀ·es
but I think that means that the plural form of the word being defined is either "cosmos" (i.e. "cosmos" is an uncountable noun, in other words a mass noun such as "grass" or "furniture") or "cosmoses," the latter meaning that obviously "cosmos" is the singular. Also, Cosmonaut is easier to say than Cosmosnaut.

Oh and I just realized that I didn't post why it doesn't rhyme -- we weren't supposed to have end rhymes, and we were supposed to model the poetry off that of Walt Whitman.

Edit: I asked two different English teachers -- they both said it was singular, and we also checked the dictionary and it said that cosmos was either used as a singular or collective noun (it said it had two plural forms -- cosmos and cosmoses)
Back to top Go down
RaspberryTickleBear
Legend
Legend
RaspberryTickleBear

Song of the stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Song of the stars   Song of the stars I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 8:55 am

You like space and astronomy, don't you? I can tell by this and your story. Very good job. The thing is, I didn't pay much attention in science when we were learning about space... I'm not very good at writing about anything in the sky except clouds, stars, and the moon. The best I can do about the Sun is right here...

The Sun burns my eyes,
Causing me to look away.
The Sun is real mean.

Yes, haikus... I love them. But this proves my lack of talent when it comes to writing about objects above our heads. :3
Back to top Go down
WalrusGumboot
Legend
Legend
WalrusGumboot

Song of the stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Song of the stars   Song of the stars I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 11:51 am

I guess it just depends what you like. I mean, this only came out well because I liked what I was writing about. Everyone could write good poetry if they really wanted to, it's just figuring out how is the tricky part.
Back to top Go down
RaspberryTickleBear
Legend
Legend
RaspberryTickleBear

Song of the stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Song of the stars   Song of the stars I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 1:38 pm

Exactly, I don't even know what a quasar is. Razz So I guess I like writing about stuff like... Well, I don't even know, lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Song of the stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Song of the stars   Song of the stars I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Song of the stars
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Creative Corner :: Writings :: Poetry-
Jump to: