Creative Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creative Corner

Writings, artwork, movies, music, anything and everything.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The First Roleplay: Planning

Go down 
+7
Da_StrongWill
WalrusGumboot
magmak
Paige
Echelon
El Shade Moose
leestriter
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
El Shade Moose
Legend
Legend
El Shade Moose

The First Roleplay: Planning - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Roleplay: Planning   The First Roleplay: Planning - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 1:42 pm

Good point. Perhaps a mixture of both, maybe? Some organizations specializing in magic, others science, others technoscience, so on and so forth?
Back to top Go down
Paige
Legend
Legend
Paige

PostSubject: Re: The First Roleplay: Planning   The First Roleplay: Planning - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 1:59 pm

*furrows brow* Um, I'm way out of my league here.

And, yes, I read the guide lines. Or skimmed.
Back to top Go down
leestriter
Legend
Legend

PostSubject: Re: The First Roleplay: Planning   The First Roleplay: Planning - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 2:49 pm

El Shade Moose wrote:
Good point. Perhaps a mixture of both, maybe? Some organizations specializing in magic, others science, others technoscience, so on and so forth?

Eh, I've tried things where there is both of them, but making a good system for magic is always tough.
Back to top Go down
El Shade Moose
Legend
Legend
El Shade Moose

PostSubject: Re: The First Roleplay: Planning   The First Roleplay: Planning - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 3:47 pm

It could make for an interesting experience if one had to have some form of exterior energy source for magic. Such as kidnapping kittens and draining their life source to create fire or something.
Back to top Go down
leestriter
Legend
Legend

PostSubject: Re: The First Roleplay: Planning   The First Roleplay: Planning - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 7:47 pm

That seems to make magic evil by default.

And no matter what, magic always just has way too much power. It is almost impossible for tech to beat magic.

"I spend a year crafting a robotic suit, to pwn you with lazers."

"I spend thirty minutes at the cauldron, and use fifty dragons to melt the armor."
Back to top Go down
Echelon
Legend
Legend
Echelon

PostSubject: Re: The First Roleplay: Planning   The First Roleplay: Planning - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 9:12 pm

leestriter wrote:
That seems to make magic evil by default.

And no matter what, magic always just has way too much power. It is almost impossible for tech to beat magic.

"I spend a year crafting a robotic suit, to pwn you with lazers."

"I spend thirty minutes at the cauldron, and use fifty dragons to melt the armor."

But let us not forget the last resort Deus Ex Machina of "I create a black hole in the middle of your dragon army and suck them all into oblivion, muhahahaha."
Back to top Go down
leestriter
Legend
Legend

PostSubject: Re: The First Roleplay: Planning   The First Roleplay: Planning - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 9:24 pm

Ha, but you see, that gets kinda crazy. People understand what it takes for tech, but magic, people have less of a grip on, sense it doesn't exist.
Back to top Go down
El Shade Moose
Legend
Legend
El Shade Moose

PostSubject: Re: The First Roleplay: Planning   The First Roleplay: Planning - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 4:47 am

Deus Ex Machina! Love that phrase.

Hey, hey you! I'm gonna kick your DEUS EX MACHINA right here, fata-EX MACHINA!

Seriously!

Ahem. Sorry. Yeah, you have a good point with the magic.
Back to top Go down
leestriter
Legend
Legend

PostSubject: Re: The First Roleplay: Planning   The First Roleplay: Planning - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 4:04 pm

Now, if we forced the magic to develop slowly, perhaps, but I have never found this possible. And you can never split it into magic users and tech users, because magic users end up using some tech, and some magic.
Back to top Go down
magmak
Legend
Legend
magmak

Location : Being chased by angry breakfast items for killing their god.

PostSubject: Re: The First Roleplay: Planning   The First Roleplay: Planning - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 5:54 pm

I'm looking for something Stat-Based with factions. Just what I want. Bleh, I feel so new.
Back to top Go down
Echelon
Legend
Legend
Echelon

PostSubject: Re: The First Roleplay: Planning   The First Roleplay: Planning - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 6:10 pm

leestriter wrote:
Now, if we forced the magic to develop slowly, perhaps, but I have never found this possible. And you can never split it into magic users and tech users, because magic users end up using some tech, and some magic.

It seems to me that the magic users will always need some tech to keep up. Basic things like houses and swords, etc. Depending on how much tech they use, magic will always have an advantage over tech up until the point the tech people start going into space. At this point, the magic side becomes a tribe of primitive people to be easily taken out by an orbital bombardment.
Back to top Go down
Echelon
Legend
Legend
Echelon

PostSubject: Re: The First Roleplay: Planning   The First Roleplay: Planning - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 6:14 pm

magmak wrote:
Just what I want. Bleh, I feel so new.

It's fine, this whole forum is basically new anyway.
Back to top Go down
leestriter
Legend
Legend

PostSubject: Re: The First Roleplay: Planning   The First Roleplay: Planning - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 6:30 pm

Echelon wrote:
leestriter wrote:

It seems to me that the magic users will always need some tech to keep up. Basic things like houses and swords, etc. Depending on how much tech they use, magic will always have an advantage over tech up until the point the tech people start going into space. At this point, the magic side becomes a tribe of primitive people to be easily taken out by an orbital bombardment.

And thats the problem. I need a way to keep it constantly relatively even, without constant mod intervention.
Back to top Go down
Echelon
Legend
Legend
Echelon

PostSubject: Re: The First Roleplay: Planning   The First Roleplay: Planning - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 7:18 pm

It'd probably be best to either eliminate magic, or mix them, so it's not just magic vs. tech.
Back to top Go down
leestriter
Legend
Legend

PostSubject: Re: The First Roleplay: Planning   The First Roleplay: Planning - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 7:46 pm

What if we made magic more like technology?
Back to top Go down
Echelon
Legend
Legend
Echelon

PostSubject: Re: The First Roleplay: Planning   The First Roleplay: Planning - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 8:23 pm

Hmm... can you elaborate on that a little?
Back to top Go down
leestriter
Legend
Legend

PostSubject: Re: The First Roleplay: Planning   The First Roleplay: Planning - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 8:34 pm

Make it more harness and systematic, perhaps magitech.

I found two quotes, the first, well known. "Any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Then another, by Larry Niven (an author I like):

"Any significantly advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."

Generally, get the same effects through different routes. A trade? Harnessed wind elemental, perhaps.
Back to top Go down
Echelon
Legend
Legend
Echelon

PostSubject: Re: The First Roleplay: Planning   The First Roleplay: Planning - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 8:38 pm

Ah I see. Essentially, it plays on the fact that... no one can really tell if someone's levitating an object with magic, or with telekinetic abilities gained by genetic enhancement unless someone actually says so.
Back to top Go down
leestriter
Legend
Legend

PostSubject: Re: The First Roleplay: Planning   The First Roleplay: Planning - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 2:42 pm

Yeah, or with an antigravity device.

Though, that would mean we would start pretty advanced, and ruin the point of not having magic OR tech.
Back to top Go down
Echelon
Legend
Legend
Echelon

PostSubject: Re: The First Roleplay: Planning   The First Roleplay: Planning - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 6:01 pm

A think I might just make my Manifest Destiny Relaunch, unless anyone specifically has an idea of plot, gameplay, etc beyond simply the RP's focus.
Back to top Go down
WalrusGumboot
Legend
Legend
WalrusGumboot

PostSubject: Re: The First Roleplay: Planning   The First Roleplay: Planning - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 8:51 pm

I have a few Ideas for RPs. I'm not doing them just yet, however, because I'm new to the Sporum-style RPing, but the similar Fantastic Contraption style RPGs. The FC RPGs were a lot different than these, because there were no defined plots, people were allowed and even encouraged to gmod (that made the stories horrifically complex, I remember one where a guy came from another dimension and tried to destroy everything with dark matter, but then someone else killed him with magical light beings, but he came back to life, but then yet another person killed him by making a dormant volcano erupt and cover him in molten lava, but then he came back to life again. See my point?), people could add as many characters as they wanted, no matter how ridiculous, the format was completely different, the posts looked more like screen plays than actual stories, and anyone could participate, causing a lot of noobish stupidities.
Anyway, save my off topic rantings, here are those ideas I have:

1. Journey to the Center of the Galaxy: This is loosely based on an FC RP, but a lot different. the first intergalactic starship is created, and the protagonists take it to a distant planet. (In the FC one, aliens attacked and kidnapped one of the protagonists)
2. The Trouble with Mutants: This one's also based off of one from FC. The protagonists are all exposed to radioactivity and mutate, giving them various powers.
3. Jailbirds: This one is my own creation. The protagonists are all in prison for various crimes they did not commit, and they form an alliance together in a plot to escape their unfair punishment.
Back to top Go down
http://aviary.com/artists/WalrusGumboot/creations
Echelon
Legend
Legend
Echelon

PostSubject: Re: The First Roleplay: Planning   The First Roleplay: Planning - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 4:19 pm

El Shade Moose wrote:
Well I was close.

They both sound fun but neither of them really jumps out at me. Awwww screw it what I mean is that they sound like they'd be a blast but I think there's something else we could do that would be better. I just don't know what it is.

Again, I could post what I've created so far, as a sort of planning thread, unless anyone else has a fully developed plot, style, etc.
Back to top Go down
leestriter
Legend
Legend

PostSubject: Re: The First Roleplay: Planning   The First Roleplay: Planning - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 7:04 pm

I like the ship one, I played a really fun rp where everyone was on a ship together.

It had androids, humans, and anthromorphs as the only character options, so I took anthromorphic as far as I could with a monsters ex-slave race of insectoids. On the inside, all they really desired was to grow plants, and they harbor no hatred for humanity.
Back to top Go down
Echelon
Legend
Legend
Echelon

PostSubject: Re: The First Roleplay: Planning   The First Roleplay: Planning - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 7:07 pm

leestriter wrote:
I like the ship one, I played a really fun rp where everyone was on a ship together.

It had androids, humans, and anthromorphs as the only character options, so I took anthromorphic as far as I could with a monsters ex-slave race of insectoids. On the inside, all they really desired was to grow plants, and they harbor no hatred for humanity.

What RP was that, it sounds fun.
Back to top Go down
leestriter
Legend
Legend

PostSubject: Re: The First Roleplay: Planning   The First Roleplay: Planning - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 9:27 am

It was on xspore, my first site.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The First Roleplay: Planning   The First Roleplay: Planning - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The First Roleplay: Planning
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next